Friday, August 17, 2012

Old Friends

Last night I went and visited my friend Hayden's family.  I don't think I had seen them since Hayden left on his mission over a year ago!  Oops!  Far, far too long.  I love them so much!

When I got there the first thing Kara did was ask me if I was coming over to tell them I was engaged.  Definitely not.  I guess Chris was the one who thought of it, so when he got home I told him not to worry.  And he said on the way home he had been reconciling himself to the fact that I might have a boy with me and was practicing his happy face.  So funny!
I met Hayden in Mrs. Carlson's class in second grade.  He was the little chubby boy who stuck his tongue out when he colored (which I am pretty sure he still does).  And we've been friends ever since, with a brief break during third grade because we were in different classes (was it just me or was it a way bigger deal when you are young what class you're in?).  

Hayden is amazing.  He's extremely smart and can do anything he sets his mind to.  He learned to play the trumpet, guitar, ukulele, harmonica, and lacrosse just because he wanted to.  He's super loud, but in an endearing way.  He is friends with so many people because of it.  He was the kid in high school that somehow managed to have friends in every friend group and bridge the gap because he was so awesome and he just genuinely liked people.  The fact that you can get him to do almost anything (like eat enormous bugs) if you get enough people to chant his name helps with that too. 
He has always had an unshakable faith that God has a plan for his life and that everything happens exactly the way it is supposed to.  Despite some struggles he had understanding counsel he was given sometimes, he always followed in anyway.  He did what was right simply because he was asked to.  Hayden's pretty sensitive, but that makes him the best friend you could possibly know.  He is also one of the only guy friends of mine that always has my back when it comes to dating.  He has an uncanny ability to see through the guys I like and is always right in his assessment.  It makes my life a lot easier.

He's on his mission in Australia right now and is having the time of his life.  Every letter is filled funny stories, but is not without all the miracles the experience has to offer.  I can't believe he's been gone so long.  It seems like just yesterday that he left.  It is amazing to see him develop into the man I knew he could be without him losing himself even a little bit.
Zoe, Hayden, and Sawyer
I'm so grateful to Hayden's family too that they always make me feel so welcome and loved in their home.  They are such good people without trying to hide their flaws.  They love their kids so much and have done such a good job raising them.  I'm so glad to be an honorary member of their family!  Next time I will have to visit them before it has been over a year!

No comments: