Monday, February 6, 2012

Engaged!

Two of my very favorite people in the world got engaged this weekend:  Kate and Ryan.
Pretty typical for them, Halloween 2011

These two are some of the most amazing people I know.  I met Ryan when he was assigned to be my home teacher my first semester of school (he's my home teacher this year too...I'm not sure how I lucked out having him twice).  My first memory of him is him sitting/bouncing on our living room floor.  Yes, bouncing.  That is the best way to describe him.  He cannot sit still for almost anything, with the exception being studying.  He's a marathon studier.  He has always been the best home teacher.  He tried really hard to get me involved in the ward, even when I resisted.  But I will always be eternally grateful that he cared.  He is seriously one of my heroes, and would be completely mortified if he knew I'd said that.  He tries harder than anyone I've ever met to overcome his faults.  I am continuously amazed at his strength.  Few people recognize the flaws in themselves better than Ryan.  In a world afraid to truly look at itself because of what it might find, he forces himself to do so, motivated by the desire to be better than he has been.  He is all about serving others, which drives me crazy sometimes (like when he tries to do my dishes before I even finish eating).  But it is a great thing really.
Ryan and I have a unique relationship.  He's kind of like my big brother.  He's the kind of kid who always puts his arm around me, asks me how I'm doing, and doesn't believe me for a second when I lie about being "fine."  He's also always on my side, even when it comes to situations with people he's known a lot longer and should logically have more loyalty to.  He tries to protect me and teases me the same way my brothers do.  It's nice to have a brother around all the time.
He really hates getting his picture taken
He is one of the most passionate people I know.  Do not get him started on one of his soapboxes because you will never hear the end of it.  I think one of my favorite rants is the "Housing in Provo" rant.  It's classic.
He is also one of those people who is good at everything he does.  Seriously.  He is a nutrition major with a 4.0 and medical school aspirations, is one of the most beautiful writers I've seen in a long time, plays baseball like a mad man, is a natural with kids, and can speak intelligently on almost any subject because in addition to being well read, he thinks about everything very carefully in order to form his opinions.  The fact that he is good at everything has its disadvantages though as he changes his mind of what he wants to do with his life frequently.  Those are always the best:  the days Kate would come home and say, "Ryan's decided to be a..."  So far as I can remember the list has included a researcher, professor, high school chemistry teacher, doctor and lawyer.  He also wants to join the Peace Corps or do Teach for America.  
As if we didn't already spend enough time together, with him dating my best friend and being my home teacher, we are currently the Activities Committee Co-chairs.  He was it before me, which means I knew we'd be working together before he did.  I couldn't stop the grin from spreading across my face when I stood up and looked over at him when they announced my calling.  People in the ward think we must have bribed the bishop.

Cute Kate

I know I've talked about Kate before, but I have to add a little more.  She's just amazing.  Seriously, it was one of the luckiest days of my life when Alicia and Kate decided to live together freshman year.  She is extremely passionate and most of the time unafraid to show emotion, at least to me.  She knows how to throw herself into things and is willing to do so in order to reap the benefits.  Sometimes she falls, and falls hard, but she always picks herself back up and tries again.  More than anyone, she has taught be about love and the power of unconditional love.  Everything else in this world is better accomplished when built on a foundation of love.  She loves to talk.  Actually, talk isn't the right word.  She loves to discuss.  I have learned more about myself through her asking me questions than I thought was possible.  And she never takes cop-out answers.  She is so loyal sometimes it's ridiculous.  There have been times when she has been much more upset at what she perceives to be injustices done to me than I am.  She has been there for me through every hard thing I have gone through in the past year and a half.  In a stage saturated with change, she has been a rock solid foundation.  She's a talented actress, too.  I love watching her act because of the emotional connection she creates with the character, which is then transferred to you as an audience member.  She knows how to work hard and is willing to do almost anything to get what she wants and needs.  
When Kate makes changes, she makes big changes.  When she decides that she needs to improve this or that, she does it and refuses to give up.  She's beautiful, brave, and constantly looking for ways to improve the lives of others.  And I miss her more than I can say.
On Kate's birthday, July 2011





Friday, February 3, in the stairwell of her apartment building in Washington D.C. these two wonderful people officially made their plans to be together forever.  The wedding date is June 1st.  And I can't wait!

No comments: