Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Activities

I have to admit, when the Church got rid of Activities Committees, I was ridiculously happy that I would never have to be on one...Too bad they still exist in Young Single Adult wards.  Something about the socializing at activities being one of the most important things about being in a YSA ward.  Anyway, I was called in November to be Activities Co-Chair.  Rather unfortunate.  The good thing is that my Co-Chair is one of my best friends in the ward.  Seriously, people thought we had bribed the Bishop.  The bad thing is that I was immediately put in charge of an activity someone else had come up with, but never planned anything for...the ward Thanksgiving Dinner.  
Now, do I know how to figure out how much food is necessary to feed a ward?  Not even close.  And to make it worse, we are never sure how many people will actually come.  So, after about two weeks of debating, we decided to make three turkeys, about 25 lbs. each.  And since I was in charge of the activity, I got to make one of them.  How hard could it be, right?  
Our First (and Last) Turkey

See, what no one tells you is that cooking a turkey is disgusting!  Now, I am not the biggest fan of meat to begin with, but this was worse than I had imagined.  Between taking out the nasty insides, stuffing, cooking, and carving the turkey, I couldn't even eat any of it.  I ended up only eating a tiny bit of turkey on actual Thanksgiving, and the only reason I ate any was because I felt like it was obligatory at Thanksgiving to eat turkey. 
Luckily, I have awesome friends/roommates who helped me with all of the above nastiness.
Jessica and the turkey

Me and the turkey

Jessica and I with our Turkey

The dinner ended up alright in the end.  But it was quite the relief to have it over and done with.  Afterward, Ryan and I agreed to never do anything like it again.  (We've partially kept that agreement.  The dinner we did this month was not nearly as stressful.)
Me showing how happy I was it was over! (And Kate doing dishes in the background.)

Kate with her prize (aka the belt)

Also, Kate won the pie making contest.  She deserved to win some sort of prize for helping Ryan and I out so much anyway.  The funny thing is she never actually tried the pie.  Apparently it was good though.

P.S. I have decided that I am never cooking a turkey again.  So my husband better love to cook!

No comments: